Julian of Norwich (eBook)
by Philip Sheldrake (Author)
- 192 Pages
A noted scholar examines the work of the English mystic Julian of Norwich
Julian of Norwich is the late fourteenth-century and early fifteenth-century English woman theologian. With her mystical writings, she has become one of the most popular and influential spiritual figures of our times. In Julian of Norwich: In God's Sight, the eminent scholar Philip Sheldrake offers a study of the theology that Julian expresses in her writings.
The author examines what is known about Julian’s mystical experience or mystical consciousness, discusses what can be surmised about Julian’s likely identity and places her writings in historical, cultural and spiritual contexts. Julian of Norwich: In God's Sight is based on a faithful reading of Julian’s texts, especially the Long Text, as well as on her own declared theological-spiritual purpose. This compelling book:
- Presents a contextually-grounded and text-related study of the key elements of Julian’s theology
- Offers a scholarly work by a well-known expert in the field
- Unlocks an ever-richer understanding of Julian’s writings
- Includes an examination of the key texts attributed to Julian
Written for students of theology and those interested in learning more about this popular mystic, Julian of Norwich: In God's Sight offers ascholarly review of Julian’s most important writings.
- Released: October 26, 2018
- Language: English
- Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell
- ISBN-13: 9781119099673