Teaching to Empower (eBook)
by debbie zacarian, michael silverstone (Author)
- 178 Pages
We want students to master academic standards, and we want them to be confident, adaptive, and socially responsible. Above all, we want them to find meaning and satisfaction in their lives. Achieving these goals requires a concerted focus on the social-emotional skills that empower students in and beyond the classroom.
In Teaching to Empower, Debbie Zacarian and Michael Silverstone explore what an empowered student looks like in our increasingly diverse contemporary schools and prompt educators to examine their own relationship to empowerment. The book's evidence-based strategies and authentic examples show you how to foster an inclusive culture of agency, self-confidence, and collaboration that will give each of your students—regardless of race, culture, language, socioeconomic status, abilities, sexuality, or gender—the opportunity, responsibility, and tools to become an active learner, thoughtful community member, and engaged global citizen. Whether you're a preservice teacher, a classroom novice, or a veteran, you'll find the practical guidance you'll need to
* Create inclusive and empowering physical learning spaces.
* Set up self-directed learning and promote positive interdependence.
* Promote student self-reflection.
* Teach the skills of collaboration.
* Foster the self-advocacy that fuels deeper, more autonomous learning.
* Partner more effectively with families and the community to support student empowerment.
- Released: March 16, 2020
- Language: English
- Publisher: ASCD
- ISBN-10: 1416628568
- ISBN-13: 9781416628569